Friday, March 6, 2009

The Coach


“World-class athletes know it. So do opera divas. Winners in nearly every profession know that without the right coach, they won’t perform at their peak. And now a select number of businesspeople know it too.”
~ Claire Tristram, Fast Company 2000

Coaching accelerates and magnifies efforts and results. I look for what isn’t obvious...a simpler way to reach a goal, a false perception that is limiting your options, or a self-defeating behavior that is blocking your maximum achievement. In professional and personal lives we all reach a point where we’re doing the best we know how. Coaching gives you a chance to catapult beyond what you already know.

· Coaching is not cheer leading; it is supporting your accountability.
· Coaching is not friendship; it is a serious partnership lasered on your success.
· Coaching is not dictating; it is guiding you out of your comfort zone toward needed changes.

Coaching is an investment in your future. It is finding within yourself greater possibilities waiting to be released. It is clarifying your vision and creating plans to achieve them. It is discovering new ways of managing you in your life. It creates momentum and immediate results.

“I’ve never see anyone better at cutting through complicated issues
and getting to the core of solution.
You’ve saved me time and money.
One of the best investments I’ve ever made.”
~ Bob Beardsley

Experience Counts

Nineteen years of assisting leaders of both large and small organizations develop, implement, and achieve their core initiatives has equipped me to recognize subtle signs of unused capacity—blind spots in leadership effectiveness —and ineffectual plans.

I provide an objective perspective, free of personal agendas or politics, that credibly raises unspoken questions and plainly points out erosive conflicts. Until unspoken issues are acknowledged little progress can be made. As an outsider, I can safely play this role and keep attention focused on what needs to be done.

I coach individuals or teams to higher productivity.
Coaching is the fastest and most effective method for accelerating leadership effectiveness and team collaboration.

I’m not afraid of the tough situations, resistant individuals, or lofty goals. Yet, I recognize the need for, and can foster, strong partnerships. It is my position that I win when you win. That is the sole focus of my work.

“You’ve helped more than you’ll ever know. I knew what I needed to accomplish,
but I was getting lost in where to start and how to keep myself motivated.
I’m making more progress than I ever expected.
Thanks, it was just what I needed!.”
~ Sharon Murphy

The Process

Your coaching plan will be custom designed to fit your particular needs and it will be constantly reevaluated for modifications. It may include any or all of the following elements.

The Map: Finding Focus
Step one is determining exactly what your intentions and needs are in the coaching relationship. How I can best assist you in achieving your desired results.

The Destination: Clarifying the Vision
The power of a clear vision, a clear destination, cannot be overestimated. Vision provides motivation and confirmation of your progress.

The Route: Creating a Plan
The most under-used tool to achieving goals is a detailed plan. It’s possible to achieve good results by accident, but not likely. It’s impossible to reach your top performance without a clear, specific plan.

The Vehicle: Assessing Your Strengths
Your strengths get you to where you want to be. Are you using your strengths to your best purpose? Are you overestimating a strength? Are you overusing a strength? An overused strength becomes a weakness.

The Potholes: Revealing Blind Spots
Not knowing what you don’t know can hurt you. It’s natural to have blind spots in perception. It’s sabotage to not know that and not seek to recognize and overcome them.

Milestones: Tracking Your Progress
How will you know where you are in relation to your plan? We’ll identify what measures and indicators are most useful in tracking your progress.

Refueling: Celebrating Your Wins
Momentum brings natural motivation, but it’s important to acknowledge how far you’ve come to keep performance high.

Mutual Accountability

My Role

· Confidential Listener: I never reveal to anyone who my clients are or what they say.

· Objective Questioner: I follow my intuition and address areas that you may be unconsciously
avoiding.

· Supportive Challenger: All of us, at one time or another, are our own worst enemies. I’ll help
you be honest with yourself and take accountability for beliefs and actions that are standing in
your way.

· Avid Cheerleader: Personal change is not easy, it helps to have someone who knows what
you’ve been through.

· Honest Mirror: I aim to honestly reflect back to you what I experience of you. My goal is to
disclose blind spots that are unconsciously restricting your progress.

· Active Collaborator: Moving from knowledge to action is where change happens. I’ll help you
create plans for change and partner with you in assessing your progress.

Your Role

· Commitment: Your commitment to change and growth are the single most critical element in the
success of our work. You have to want this passionately.

· Respect for our time: Be on time, be ready, focus your attention on the best use of our time.

· Honesty: I’m not someone you need to impress or hide things from. Your success is all I’m
concerned with and your complete honesty will help us know where we are and where to go next.

· Accountability: Do what you say you’re going to do and own up if you drop the ball. That’s all it
takes to get back to integrity and move on.

· Feedback: Help me help you best. Let me know what’s working and not working for you in our
partnership. My role is to be what you need me to be to achieve your goals.